K..Sensitive topic. My parents are people whom I'll tell everyone that they don't care about me. However, everyone around me tells me that they give me lots of autonomy. I guess it's due to my upbringing when I was very young. At a tender age of primary 3 I took a mrt train alone, all the way from Bukit Batok to Novena station. I was taught to be independent and do things on my own. Had to wash my own shoes, wash my plates after eating my dinner, iron my clothes. Even had to do housework at times and i dread it.
Financially, i handled it upon myself too. I try not to ask money from my parents as I'm pretty shy about it. I took whatever my parents gave me and topped up on my own if i felt that i needed more. Ever since after A levels, I stopped taking pocket money from my parents. I believed that I'm capable of providing for myself through part time work.
My parents took the effort to speak english and chinese to me. My mom realised that it's important to know both languages and realised that I don't speak enough chinese. Thus, i speak to my dad in Chinese and my mother in English. It turned out that eventually i became more well versed in Chinese than in English. That I've got to attribute it to Channel 8 tv shows. As for my lousy English, I attribute to my my mom's broken English (and my lacklustre effort in trying to improve it).
The biggest thing that I'm grateful towards my parents is that they give me full autonomy in whatever I do. No curfews, no limits. I make every single decision by myself. Next thing will be that they help me with washing of my clothes and cooking of dinner at times, it's important k! I've loads of things to do and this help me take a little time off so I can indulge in tv watching.
No comments:
Post a Comment